Monday, December 11, 2017

"We just have to realize we're going to get ripped off...and that's OK".

Greetings from Delhi, India!

Dad and I have made it and are in good spirits after two long days of travelling.   I forgot how LONG it takes to get to Asia…I started off in Toronto and took a 15 hour flight to Shanghai where I met Dad.  The meeting was a little stressful because Dad’s plane got in late, he went to the wrong customs line, and in Shanghai you have to collect your luggage, leave the secured part of the airport, and come BACK again to get your connecting flight so it can be very confusing. We ended up finding each other just before I checked in and we made it on our flight from Shanghai to Delhi together.  That flight was 7 hours.   Unlike Dad, I didn’t sleep though most of it.  However, as a window seater, I took pride in the fact that I only went to the bathroom once on the 15 hour flight and not at all on the 7 hour flight so…I don’t really know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but I am going to choose to look at it as a positive (it certainly was for the people sitting next to me).

Our arrival at the airport was very smooth which is very weird for us, so I was a bit concerned.  After receiving both of our backpacks at the luggage trolley one after the other, and making it through customs rather smoothly, I thought this trip was off to TOO good a start…I like to immediately doubt anything that goes well while I'm travelling.  However, things just got better!  When we entered the arrival hall, we immediately saw our driver, Hari, holding up a big sign that says "MISS ANNIKA ODEGARD”.  That was the best feeling in the world after a long flight!  Side note: I find it amazing and hilarious that since I have had all the contact with the travel agency in preparation for this trip, they think I am running the show and direct all of their questions to me rather than Dad.  "Madame this, Madame that".  After meeting Hari and his team, we got the India SIM card (which was another simple thing that has caused me a lot of stress)!  I was in such a good mood that when the cell phone guy had to take my picture for identification purposes I said "Ah!  Look! I'm already famous in India!"  He did not laugh.

Anyway, we made it to our hotel.  It was about 4:00 AM so I suppose I shouldn’t be upset that when we walked in, the man who was sleeping on the couch in the lobby was actually supposed to be manning the “24 hour reception desk”.  Nevertheless, we eventually got everything sorted and got to our room.  Dad and I quickly fell asleep and woke up at 9:30.  We are trying to adjust to the time difference as quickly as possible.

Our hotel had a great breakfast.  It was a buffet and I’m pretty sure these people aren’t used to seeing someone like my Dad eat at a buffet.  It always involves many, many, many trips to the buffet and multiple plates at the table.  I think he almost ENJOYS making people around us wonder just how much he can eat in one sitting.  But, as he says, when we travel we never know where or when the next meal is coming so fill up on breakfast!   

Sikh Temple
After breakfast, we met a tuk tuk driver named Bill.  The plan was for him to take us on a tour of Delhi and it would cost us a total of $10 CAD for the day.  Pretty good deal.  At first, he seemed great.  He was giving us lots of information about things, pulling over to see different sights.  But throughout the day, he kept telling us how much he hated drivers that scammed people all the while…scamming us? We think?  We kind of got half scammed today, and that was partly because we let him do it to us.  Basically, the sight seeing stops became less frequent and there was more driving around the same area stopping at his friends' businesses.  However, our first stop was the Sikh Temple which was actually really interesting.


We were able to go inside and see people worshiping and praying.  But the best part was we got to see the kitchen where volunteers work for around the clock to provide food to anyone that needs it.  We had our shoes off just walking through the kitchen (felt disgusting, not gonna lie) and we acted like we belonged there…even if we didn’t look like it.  It was fascinating and it was cool to see so many volunteers dedicating their time to helping others who can't provide food and shelter for themselves.  So that was really cool!


Dad and his buddy, Bill






Really happy Bill wouldn't let me wear my scarf around my head and made me wear this orange cap instead. 


Inside The Temple



Watching the kitchen volunteers work!


Making Naan Bread






Our first sip of chai in India!

I had told Bill that I wanted to go to a market, and he kept saying he would take us to the Indian Bazaar (the REAL Indian market), but then he would just take us to what was clearly a tourist shop.  We had been warned (BY BILL!!) that we shouldn’t let drivers talk us into stopping at places we didn’t want to stop at, but it seemed by the time we got into the shops, it was too late to recognize that it was not, in fact, a market.

Despite the fact that we knew we were in a tourist-y shop, I finally got to get a Saree!  It was quite a fun experience because they treated me like a queen.  They were bringing me coffee, tea, telling me how pretty I was etc. and obviously they were only being so nice to me because they were expecting me to buy something, but I didn’t even care. Dad bought a tunic for himself, as did I (so I can save the saree for my special Indian adventures rather than everyday activities.  Don’t want it getting dirty! ;). We weren’t allowed to take pictures, unfortunately, but it was definitely a highlight of my day!

I can’t tell you how many Indian rugs we looked at today.  There was a lot of “Wow, they’re beautiful, we just don’t have the space” or Dad just stroking them on the floor and then offering a few “Hmmmss…” The funny thing that happened there, however, was Dad asked how long it takes them to make the rugs and the guy said “half an inch a day”.  Obviously by that he means it’s the total width of the carpet x half an inch.  However, I was imagining someone working all day to finish half of an inch x half of an inch and thought “WHY BOTHER AT THAT RATE??”  Anyway, I was wrong, but Dad had a good laugh at my expenses.

Hindu Temple
Gardens at the Hindu Temple

























Bill took us to a lot of random places.  We ended up at a tourist information centre because he wanted us to book a trip with his friend who worked there (we didn't).  We went to a Hindu Temple that we didn't really understand because there was no guide or written English information.  And, we ended up going to one store because apparently Bill had a deal with the owner that as long as we stayed in there for 20 minutes he would get 2 L of petrol for free (which is weird because the tuk tuks run on natural gas anyway…). We also spent a solid 25 minutes on the side of the freeway listening to him tell us his LIFE STORY with more pointless details than you can possibly imagine.



However, the great thing about this day with Bill was that we definitely got an authentic tuk tuk experience!  During rush hour, the tuk tuk stopped working and people were honking at us from every direction.  Bill got out and called a friend after he tried to start it A MILLION TIMES.  After a few minutes, the friend came and we got in HIS tuk tuk, but Bill still had the OTHER tuk tuk to take care of.  It still wouldn’t start, so the guy would get out and push the tuk tuk, then jump in his own tuk tuk and then our new tuk tuk was driving beside it and our driver was LITERALLY pushing the broken tuk tuk with his foot.  (How many times have I said "tuk tuk" now?)  Anyway, this went on for many kilometeres.  During rush hour.  What a hilarious disaster.  I have never heard so many honks in my life!  


Bill's short lived attempt at fixing the engine


Trying to push the broken tuk tuk across 8 "lanes" of traffic


Literally pushing it with his foot to make it move 

You could tell at the end of the day, Bill was not happy that he didn’t get a generous tip and instead, we paid him what he quoted us, which was $10.  But come on man, your vehicle broke down, you didn’t take us to anywhere real, and we got you 2L of gas for free so…really you should be tipping US.  I’m sure you can tell by this picture that he is really happy with us…
Look at that smile...

Anyway, we kind of got ripped off, but we kind of let it happen.  So it's all good.  We have our regular driver coming to pick us up tomorrow before we take the train to Varanasi so hopefully we will have a better day with him (in terms of actually seeing some sights)!

As I am writing this, I am so tired and it’s not even 6 PM yet.  I’m hoping I can make it to 7 PM before I fall asleep!  I hope you are all doing well at home! Sending love and hugs from Dad and I!

Love,
A















2 comments:

  1. Annika! How fun it was to read this! Chris and I spent a month in India exactly 7 years ago! We spent Christmas there too! So great to read all about your adventures! India sure is a different. Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Annika! I look forward to reading more!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete